BL & BA (HUST)
Positive ageing and quality of later life in changing family and social contexts
Service planning and evaluation for health promotion in old age
Retirement protection and care arrangement for older adults
Introduction to Social Services in Hong Kong
Management in Human Services
Social Policy and Decision Making
Theories of Social Policy
Ageing, Family and Society
2015 – present Visiting Fellow, Personal Social Services Research Unit, London School of Economics and Political Science
2014 – present Honorary Research Fellow. Sau Po Centre on Ageing. The University of Hong Kong
Refereed Journal Articles
- Bai, X., Guo, Y., Fu, Y.Y. (in press). Self-image and intergenerational relationships as correlates of life satisfaction in Chinese older adults: Will gender make a difference? Ageing and Society. (IF: 1.83)
- Bai, X., Leung, D., Lai, C.K.Y., Chong, A., & Chi, I. (2017). Mediating effect of decline in social activities on urinary incontinence and negative mood: Do sex and marital differences exist? Geriatrics and Gerontology International. Online First: doi: 10.1111/ggi.12976 (IF: 2.23)
- Fu, Y.Y., Guo, Y., Bai, X., & Chui, E. (2017). Factors associated with older people’s long-term care needs: A case study adopting the expanded version of the Anderson model in China. BMC Geriatrics, 17(38), 1-13. DOI: 10.1186/s12877-017-0436-1. (IF: 2.37)
- Bai, X. (2016). Alignment or Struggle? Exploring socio-demographic correlates of individual modernity modes in Chinese older people. Ageing and Society, 36(1), 133-159. (IF: 1.83)
- Bai, X., Hung, K., & Lai, D.W.L. (2016). The role of travel in enhancing life satisfaction among Chinese older adults in Hong Kong. Ageing and Society, online first dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X16000611 (IF: 1.83)
- Bai, X., Lai, D.W.L., & Guo, A. (2016). Ageism and depression: Perceptions of older people as a burden in China. Journal of Social Issues, 72(1), 26-46. (IF: 2.08).
- Bai, X. Lai, D.W.L., & Chow, N.W.S (2016). Measuring older adults’ individual modernity: Validation of the adapted Multidimensional Scale of Chinese Individual Modernity. Sage Open, January-March 2016, 1-13. DOI: 10.1177/2158244016633730
- Hung, K., Bai, X., & Lu, J-Y. (2016). Understanding travel constraints among the elderly in Hong Kong: A comparative study between the elderly in private and public housing. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 33(7), 1050-1071. (IF: 1.74)
- Leung, D., Bai, X., Leung, A., Liu, B., & Chi, I. (2015). Prevalence of medication adherence and its associated factors among community-dwelling Chinese elderly in Hong Kong. Geriatrics and Gerontology International, 15(6), 789-796. (SCI, IF: 2.23)
- Bai, X. (2014). Images of ageing in society: A literature review. Journal of Population Ageing, 7(3), 231-253.
- Bai, X., & Chow, N. (2014). A life-course perspective on elderly residential mobility in Southern China: An adaptation of the Amenity Retirement Migration Model. Journal of Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in Social Work, 23, 309-324.
- Bai, X., Ho, D., Fung, K., Tang, L., He, M., Young, D., Ho, F., & Kwok, T. (2014). Effectiveness of a life story work program on older adults with intellectual disabilities. Clinical Interventions in Aging, 9, 1-8. (IF: 2.65)
- Bai, X., Kwok, T., Ip, I., Woo, J., Chui, M., & Ho, F. (2014). Physical restraint use and older patients’ length of hospital stay. Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine, 2(1), 160-170.
- Bai, X., Kwok, T., Chan, N., & Ho, F. (2013). Determinants of job satisfaction in foreign domestic helpers caring for people with dementia in Hong Kong: The role of helpers' adaptation status, job self-efficacy and care recipients' situation. Health and Social Care in the Community, 21(5), 472-479. (IF: 1.19)
- Kwok, T., Bai, X., Li, J., Ho, F., & Lee, T. (2013). Effectiveness of cognitive training on improving cognitive abilities of Chinese older people with memory complaint: A randomized placebo-controlled trial. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 28, 208-215. (IF: 3.09)
- Bai, X., & Chow, N. (2013). Chinese elders’ self-image and their perceived peer-image: Possibility of self-enhancement bias. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 77(1), 1-16. (IF: 0.62)
- Kwok, T., Bai, X., Chui, M., Lai, C., Ho, D., Ho, F., Woo, J. (2012). Effect of physical restraint reduction on older patients’ hospital length stay. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 13(7), 645-650. (IF: 5.30)
- Bai, X., Chan, S., & Chow, N. (2012). Validation of Self-Image of Aging Scale for Chinese elders. International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 74(1), 67-86. (IF: 0.62)
- Chow, N., & Bai, X. (2011). Modernization and its impact on Chinese older people’s perception of their own image and status. International Social Work, 54(6), 800-815. (IF: 0.65)
- Kwok, T., Bai, X., Kao, H.S.R., Li, J.C.Y., & Ho, F. (2011). Cognitive effects of calligraphy therapy for older people: A randomized controlled trial. Clinical Interventions in Aging, 6, 269-273. (IF: 2.65)
- Bai, X., Yang, S.Y., Wang, F.L., & Knapp, M. (2017). Social support and sense of loneliness in solitary older adults. In T.T. Wu et al. (eds). Lecture Notes on Computer Science (pp.326-330). Springer International Publishing.
- Au, A., Yip, H.M., Chan, W.C, Bai, X., & Tsien, T. (2016). Chapter 6. Ageing and Mental Health: Challenges and Innovations in Hong Kong. Aging and Mental Health: Global Perspectives. Edited by W.W. Li, S.M., Cummings, I. Ponnuswami, & H-J. Park. New York: Nova Science Publishers.
- Lai, D.W.L., & Bai, X. (2016). Chapter 15. Social Work with Diverse Older Adults. In A.Al-Krenawi, J.R. Graham, & N. Habibov (Ed). Diversity in Social Work in Canada (pp. 345-372). Toronto, ON: Oxford University Press.
- Chui, E., Law, C.K., Bai, X., Dai, D., Lai, D., Ma, C., & Tsien, T. (2016). Feasibility Study on Introducing a Voucher Scheme on Residential Care Services for the Elderly. Report submitted to Labour and Welfare Bureau, HKSAR Government
- Chow, N.W.S., Wong, Y.C., Chan, W.S., Ho, K.M., & Bai, X. (2014). The future development of Hong Kong retirement protection (in Chinese). Report submitted to Commission on Poverty, HKSAR Government.
- Chow, N.W.S., Wong, Y.C., Chan, K.S., Bai, X., & Chan, H.H. (2013). A study report on the social security system in Macau (in Chinese). Report submitted to Fundo de Segurança Social (FSS) de Macau.
- Chow, N W.S., Wong, Y.C., Chou, K.L., Ko, P.K., Lee, V., Bai, X. (2011). A feasibility study on introducing a new scheme of support for retired elderly people. Report submitted to Central Policy Unit, HKSAR Government.
- 2018 – 2019 (Principal Investigator). Poverty and retirement patterns of ageing adults before and after retirement in Hong Kong: The moderator role of intergenerational relationships. Funded by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, HK$105,000
- 2016 – 2017 (Principal Investigator). Intergenerational relationship quality and care expectations of ageing parents in Hong Kong. Funded by Research Grants Council General Research Fund - Early Career Scheme, HK$661,904.
- 2015 – 2016 (Principal Investigator). Ageing Chinese adults’ care expectations and their determinants: A photovoice study in Hong Kong. Funded by Hong Kong Polytechnic University Central Research Grant, Department General Research Fund, HK$86,000.
- 2015 – 2017 (Co-Investigator). Seeking Help for Mental Health Problems in Hong Kong: The Influence of Family. Funded by Research Grants Council - General Research Fund, HK$988,500 PI: Juan CHEN, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- 2014 – 2016 (Co-Investigator). Enhancement of the Infrastructure of Long-term Care in Hong Kong. Funded by Social Welfare Department, HKSAR Government, HK$24,676,000 PI: Terry Y.S. Lum, The University of Hong Kong.
- 2014 – 2016 (Co-Investigator). Consultancy for formulating an elderly services programme plan. Funded by Labour and Welfare Bureau, HKSAR Government, HK$1,200,000. Principal Investigator: Dr Ernest Chui and Dr Chi Kwong Law, The University of Hong Kong
Reviewer for Academic Journals
Aging and Mental Health
Ageing and Society
Research on Aging
China Journal of Social Work
Clinical Interventions in Aging
Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine
International Social Work
International Journal of Social Science Studies
Journal of Asian Public Policy
Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare
The Global Studies Journal
Applied Research in Quality of Life
Journal of Applied Gerontology
Reviewer for Research Grants and Conference Abstracts
RGC Faculty Development Scheme for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector
Proposal review for 2016 Aging in America Conference held by American Society of Ageing, March 24-26 2016, Washington, D.C., The United States.
2016– present Teacher, Life-Long Learning Programme for Older Adults in Hong Kong
2014– present Honorary Research Advisor, The Salvation Army
2012– present Member, Hong Kong InterRAI
2011– present Honorary Research Fellow, Jockey Club Centre for Positive Ageing