Class and stratification;
Migrant population in China
Holistic Health Care
Social and Cultural Dimensions of Health
Sociology of Health
Gender and Social Changes in Chinese Societies
Refereed Journal papers:
- Wong, Yi-Lee and Anita Koo. 2016. ‘Is Hong Kong no longer a land of opportunities after the 1997 handover?: A comparison of patterns of social mobility between 1989 and 2007,’ Asian Journal of Social Science. (in press)
- Koo, Anita. 2016. ‘Expansion of Vocational Education in Neoliberal China: Hope and Despair among Rural Youth,’ Journal of Education Policy 31(1): 46-59. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02680939.2015.1073791
- Pun, Ngai and Anita Koo. 2015. ‘A “World-Class” (Labor) Camp/us: Foxconn and China’s new generation of labor migrants,’ positions 23(3): 411-435. http://positions.dukejournals.org/content/23/3/411
- Koo, Anita, Holly Ming and Bill Tsang. 2014. ‘The Doubly Disadvantaged: How return migrant children fail to access and deploy capitals for academic success in rural schools,’ Sociology, 48(4): 795-811. http://soc.sagepub.com/content/48/4/795
- Koo, Anita. 2012. ‘Is there any chance to get ahead? Education aspiration and expectations of migrant families in China,’ British Journal of Sociology of Education, 33(4): 547-564. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01425692.2012.678755
- Chan, Tak-Wing and Anita Koo. 2011. ‘Parenting Style and Youth Outcome in the UK,’ European Sociological Review, 27(3): 364-384. http://esr.oxfordjournals.org/content/27/3/385
- Ng, Adolf, Anita Koo and Athanasios Pallis. 2011. ‘Professionalization of the Shipping Industry via Postgraduate Education,’ Ocean and Coastal Management, 54(5): 364-373.
- Koo, Anita and Thomas Wong. 2009. ‘Family in Flux: Benchmarking Family Changes in Hong Kong Society,’ Social Transformations in Chinese Societies, 4: 47-56. http://booksandjournals.brillonline.com/content/books/10.1163/ej.9789004175679.i-303.10
- Ng, Adolf, Anita Koo and Jarrod Ho. 2009. ‘The Motivations and Added-Values of Embarking on Postgraduate Professional Education: Evidences from the maritime industry,’ Transport Policy, 16(5): 251-258.
- 2015. Social Economy in China and the World, edited by Pun, Ngai, Ben Ku, Hairong Yan and Anita Koo, London: Routledge.
- 2014.《社會經濟在中國：超越資本主義的理論與實踐》，潘毅、嚴海蓉、古學斌、顧靜華 編（北京：社會科學文獻） (Social Economy in China: Beyond the Imagination of Capitalism, edited by Pun, Ngai, Hairong Yan, Ben Ku and Anita Koo, Beijing: Chinese Social Sciences Academic Literature Press)
- 2013.《不一樣的香港社會經濟》，潘毅、陳鳳儀、顧靜華、盧燕儀編（香港：香港商務印書館）(Alternative and Social Economy in Hong Kong, edited by Pun, Ngai, Pauline Chan, Anita Koo and Y.Y. Lo, Hong Kong: Commercial Press)
- July 2015. ‘Education and Social Mobility of Migrant Youth in Chinese Cities,’ Paper presented in the 19th International Symposium of the ICSD in SIM University, Singapore.
- July 2014. ‘Expansion of Vocational Education and the Social Reproduction of Working Class in China,’ Paper presented in the ISA 18th World Congress of Sociology in Yokohama, Japan.
- April 2014. ‘Human Capital Regime in Neoliberal Economies: Having Vocational Education as a Self-Investment Project among Youths in China,’ Paper presented in the British Sociological Association Annual Conference 2014 in University of Leeds, England.
- Nov 2012. ‘The Doubly Disadvantaged: How returnee migrant students fail to access and deploy capitals for academic success in rural schools,’ Paper presented in the Social Integration of New Generation Migrant Family Conference in China Youth University for Political Sciences, Beijing, China.
- Aug 2012. ‘Vocational education and the new generation of working class in China,’ Paper presented in the 2nd ISA Forum of Sociology in the University of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Dec 2010. ‘Student or Labour? – Expansion of vocational schools and the growing number of student workers in Chinese factories,’ Paper presented in the 12th Annual Conference of the Hong Kong Sociological Association in HK Baptist University.
- Sept 2010. ‘Teachers in migrant schools: Care workers who have low status and low income in Chinese cities,’ Paper presented in BSA Work, Employment and Society Conference 2010 in University of Brighton, England.
- March 2010. ‘The interaction of migration and education policies: a process of social reproduction among migrant children in China,’ Paper presented in the Li & Fung Social Policy Summit in The Peking University.
- Jan 2010. ‘A process of social reproduction: limited education opportunities for the second generation of rural-urban migrants in China,’ Paper presented in the 5th Annual Conference of the Asian Studies Association of Hong Kong in HKU.
- 2014-2016 ‘Gender Stereotyping in China’s Vocational Schools’, Internal Competitive Grant, HK PolyU.
- 2012-2016 ‘Vocational Education and Social Mobility of Migrant Youth in China’, RGC General Research Fund, Hong Kong Government.